Tuesday, August 3, 2010

Chelsea Clinton is possibly a spy for the Brits.


Or something or another.


For those not-so-politically inclined, Chelsea Clinton is the daughter of Bill & Hillary Clinton. She just had a lavish wedding, and when the rich and famous have lavish weddings they do things like have an official poem for their big day. Because, you know, the poetry industry can use a boost whenever they can get one.



The poem? "The Life That I Have," by British writer Leo Marks. In its entirety:

The life that I have
Is all that I have
And the life that I have
Is yours
The love that I have
Of the life that I have
Is yours and yours and yours.
A sleep I shall have
A rest I shall have
Yet death will be but a pause
For the peace of my years
In the long green grass
Will be yours and yours
And yours
Give me a second, I'm getting a little misty here. Weddings have a way of doing this to me.

Except there's this back story to Marks and the poem. According to Yahoo, Marks wrote plenty of poetry as a device for sending cryptic messages during World War II. Then there's this little love nugget:

Marks wrote it on Christmas Eve 1943 in honor of a girlfriend who had just been killed in a plane crash. Yet Marks later passed it on to Violette Szabo, a French woman spying for Allied forces, hoping she would use the poem's rhythm and structure to construct future messages. She was captured and later died in a Nazi prison.

Szabo was also tortured and interrogated for four days by the Gestapo, and then later executed at a concentration camp, after generally being starved to near-death.

Well then, the karma surrounding this poem looks fantastic. A woman dying in a plane crash and a French spy being captured and tortured by Nazis before being executed--it's a one-two punch of blissful romance. Apparently Sylvia Plath's poetry back story isn't depressing enough to cut it for weddings these days.



No comments:

Post a Comment