Saturday, January 23, 2010

Helping People Die

Everybody who knows me knows that I am a poverty stricken student who is trying to make a career change. Those who know me well know that I am trying to transition to English teacher/writer/painter/anything but what I have done for 30 plus years--nursing. When people ask me what I did on winter break, they already know that I will probably say that I worked as a nurse.

What they are not ready for is my answer to their queries about specifics. "I help people die" I say with an evil little grin. This elicits a finite variety of reactions. The majority give a shiver and screw up their faces a bit in either fright or disgust at the implied macabre. Some people think I am incredibly noble. Now, we all know that the idea of me being noble is about as far from the truth as you can get. One fellow student asked me if I was a kind of Kevorkian nurse. I applauded him for knowing who Jack Kevorkian was. A number of people got a little closer to the truth when they ask/state "So, you didn't get a break." Nope. I didn't get a break.

What I did get was the car fixed, November and December rent paid, the cat neutered, November and December cable paid, my hair cut, and the list goes on. I worked every day but Christmas. I also started to count up the various ways you can make extra cash as a Hospice nurse. The most cost effective way is pronouncements. Ch-ching! This means pronouncing people dead and making a variety of last minute arrangements. It takes the least amount of time while giving you the same amount of money you make for an admission which can take 2 plus hours. I find myself praying for dead people on Friday night. If only I could fill my regular Saturday 12 hour shift with lots of pronouncements! This could mean a new laptop!

But I get ahead of myself. Right now, there are no dead people on today's schedule to pronounce or do anything with for that matter. I can attend to my other life until the phone rings. What will my future consist of? After all, I am an English major. After all, I am a nurse and I do like money. I visualize half dead patients and grieving families intertwined with teaching English while writing odd little stories about death and painting snow covered hillsides where the husks of human remains slumber.

No comments:

Post a Comment