Thursday, June 19, 2014

Book Review: The Martian, by Andy Weir



This is part of the continuing series of random book reviews that'll be nothing like a New York Times book review. Gone is the ten thousand word analysis. Instead, here is a book review like you'd tell your friends.


The book:  Andy Weir's The Martian



Good to know that if I'm ever stranded on Mars for over a year with little chance of survival that it's perfectly natural to play it cool and not stress.

Did crap blow up? Was I left behind? Does anyone know I'm alive? No worries! I'm just an engineering geek who doesn't worry about anything...anything at all! Am I second tier sitcom actor in a mind-blowing sci-fi plot? Sure, why not!

I kid.

There's a brief moment, about 60% of the way through the book, where the main character, Mark Watney, has a brief, one-page glimpse pondering being alone on a planet millions of miles away from any other human.

HA!

And then he doesn't care any longer, and goes back to being an engineering geek who just wants to talk technical specs.

Oh, the human drama!







No comments:

Post a Comment