Thursday, October 22, 2015

Maya Angelou's house is for sale. You better like yellow and/or painting.



Maya Angelou died a year and a half ago, and after an estate sale of many of belongings the place she called home for the last twenty years of her life is for sale.

Located in Winston-Salem, NC, the property boasts six bedrooms and nine (!!) bathrooms--potentially making up 85% of all the bathrooms existing in the metro area.

Do you like yellow? No? How handy are you with a paint brush? Angelou's favorite color was yellow, a hue she wasn't afraid to plaster on nearly every exterior space throughout the property. The main house, the multi-car garage, and guesthouse come coated in a puss-colored shade of yellow that only someone with diseased lungs could appreciate.


She bought the house in 1994 for roughly $600,000, and despite drastically expanding the house to over 7,300sq. feet, the property is for sale for $805,000, regardless of her name recognition.

Angelou's expansion wasn't technically out of necessity. Before moving to North Carolina, she lived in California, but was offered a lifetime professor position at Wake Forest University. Upon making the move from a ten room home in California, her view of house-living changed. As she told the Wall St. Journal in 2012, "I thought I was going to buy a nice little house. I’d wrap it around me in a poetic way, and I’d live a poetic existence. But then I thought, 'Wait a minute. If I moved from a 10-room house [in California] and into a three-or four-room house, then what am I telling myself? That I’ve been reduced?' I couldn’t do that."

Soooooooo, she didn't channel her inner Henry David Thoreau I take it.



photo: from the real estate listing page

No comments:

Post a Comment