Friday, September 19, 2014

Poets Reading Poetry: Dorothy Parker



Poetry is meant to be read aloud, but rarely is. As Oscar Wilde once said, "A poet can survive everything but a misprint."

So, cutting out the middle man, here is where we'll post famous poets reading their own poetry--the words off the page and in your ears, as they intended. And hopefully nothing is lost in the process.

Today:  Dorothy Parker



During her life (and to a degree even today), Dorothy Parker was labeled modern literature's smartass, a reputation she was by no means keen adopting. A writer of multiple skills, she turned to Hollywood as a screenwriter and found success with two Academy Award nominations, most notably for 1937's Best Picture nominee A Star Is Born, a decidedly non-smartass film.

But Parker's legacy isn't found in the vaults of film studios or with late night showings on Turner Classic Movies. Today, Parker's legacy is found in her literary criticism, poetry, and short story writing. For the latter, she was also bestowed with honors, including the O. Henry Award, given to an American writer who has created exceptional short stories.

It was during the 1920s and '30s that Parker's focus was on the literary, including poetry. The following recording of her work 'Inscription for the Ceiling of a Bedroom'--according to Brain Pickings--occurred in 1926 when the then-33-year old Parker recited the minute long poem. It was the same year she also published her first volume of poetry, Enough Rope. 'Inscription' would later be included in her 1936 anthology of sorts, Not So Deep as a Well.

In this audio clip, Parker's voice sounds decades older than her years, weary, tired, but alive--the tone of a life that's lived.


Inscription for the Ceiling of a Bedroom

Daily dawns another day;
I must up, to make my way.
Though I dress and drink and eat,
Move my fingers and my feet,
Learn a little, here and there,
Weep and laugh and sweat and swear,
Hear a song, or watch a stage,
Leave some words upon a page,
Claim a foe, or hail a friend-
Bed awaits me at the end.

Though I go in pride and strength,
I'll come back to bed at length.
Though I walk in blinded woe,
Back to bed I'm bound to go.
High my heart, or bowed my head,
All my days but lead to bed.
Up, and out, and on; and then
Ever back to bed again,
Summer, Winter, Spring, and Fall-
I'm a fool to rise at all!


Audio:  BrainPickings.org


No comments:

Post a Comment