Sunday, June 15, 2014

Charles Wright is the new United States Poet Laureate.


Charles Wright has won the National Book Award, the Pulitzer Prize, and pretty much every other award poets can win outside of a Nobel.

Odds are you barely know of him though.

That might change--maybe--now that he's been named the newest Poet Laureate of the United States, replacing outgoing Natasha Trethewey.

Unlike Thethewey, or other former national poet laureates like Billy Collins and Robert Pinsky, Wright doesn't plan to spend much time in the spotlight while holding the position.

"I'll probably stay here at home and think about things," Wright told NPR. "I will not be an activist laureate [like Trethewey, Collins, etc.]...they had programs. I have no program."

Ooh, boy. I don't know about you, but I can feel the excitement crackling in the air.





No comments:

Post a Comment